QUILTER JAN

Welcome to my blog!

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A day of cutting up!!!!

Today I spent several hours at the cutting board, cutting out "Schoolhouse Rock" a paper pieced (I did say never again once before didn't I--ha!!!) pattern by Fons and Porter (in the Sept/Oct. 2002 For the Love of Quilting magazine.) I made this quilt before but gave it away, sorry don't have a picture of it to share with you. It's a bright and cheery schoolhouse that will be a wallhanging for my seasonal wall. I like to celebrate lots of seasons!!! Maybe I should call it my "monthly" wall since I change it that often and more!

The schoolhouses themselves are pretty sturdy, being an array of browns in color, but the borders are bright and cheery sort of like you'd think of school as studious or quiet and then recess as a "shout!"



These schoolhouses remind me of the one room schoolhouse I attended as schoolgirl in Northern Wisconsin just a few years ago !!!!!! We had all 8 grades in one room for a total of 14 kids in the whole school. I loved school and always looked forward to school starting in the fall. For that meant new pencils, paper and books. There was always so much to learn. Just like now--so much to learn--we shouldn't let a day go by without learning something new--no matter what it is!


Let quilting help you make someone smile!


Jan

2 comments:

Debi said...

I would love to see the pattern for your schoolhouses. I have attempted houses only one time. I am sure they will be beautiful.

swooze said...

Oooh I can't wait to see it! Are you going to the Plano show Saturday?