QUILTER JAN

Welcome to my blog!

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Why, Dear Jane, Why?



Don't know why I decided I need to do a Dear Jane quilt, but here I am working on these teeny tiny 4 1/2" blocks just because they are there, I guess. And they do tend to grow on you--I work on mine sporadically and only have 18 blocks done, but I like each one! They certainly aren't perfect, but there's a certain satisfaction in completing each one and knowing that "I did it!"

The history behind the quilt is fascinating and to think that Jane Stickle did each block without all the tools that we have at our disposal today is mind boggling to me. Of course, my grandmother did her quilts that way, too with cardboard or newspaper for a template and a scissors. I find that interesting because I have trouble with a scissors and would much rather use the rotary cutter! But then I learned with Fons and Porter and they like the rotary cutter for most everything!!! I'd use it for cutting out applique shapes if it was possible!

Here is a quilt that my grandmother made for me when I was a baby 60+ years ago that was all done by hand. I do cherish it and look at her loving stitches often. While not of the historical value of a Jane Stickle Dear Jane quilt it has a history with me. I would hope that a lot of you would have a treasure such as this!

Let quilting help you make someone smile.

Jan

10 comments:

Debi said...

I love the Dear Jane quilts. I even went so far as to buy the book, but working with 4" blocks was not my cup of tea, so I returned the book. I admire those that have such a vision as to complete these quilts. I applaud you Jan for attempting such an endeavor, your blocks are beautiful.

Jan said...

Thanks Debi--I'm not sure my vision is so all encompassing as to include finishing the quilt, but I'm enjoying the journey!

swooze said...

Luckily I have not even been tempted to do a DJ quilt! Good luck on finishing!

Welcome to the Stashbuster webring!

Jan said...

Thanks swooze!!

pollyanna said...

I am so impressed with all of you who are working on Dear Jane quilts. They are so gorgeous and a true work of art. The journey of making it is a lofty goal in and of itself. Your gramma's quilt is wonderful.

Jan said...

Thanks Polly, I appreciate your very nice comments!

Debi said...

Jan, I just love the quilt in the top right hand corner of this blog. It is gorgeous, what pattern is it?

Jan said...

Debi--tat pattern is Wheel of Mystery. Maynard got me the batik kit for Valentine's Day last year.

Quilter Kathy said...

Welcome to Stashbusters!
Jeanne is another stachbuster quilter making the Dear Jane quilt:
http://luv2stitch.blogspot.com/
We have been watching her progress on the quilt. Your blocks are great!

Jeanne said...

Your Dear Jane blocks are wonderful! The more you sew, the better they will look together. Keep stitching.