QUILTER JAN

Welcome to my blog!

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Last Two 1930's Sampler Blocks Finished!




The last two 1930's Sampler blocks are finished and I started putting on the sashing and cornerstones today. I'm quite pleasantly surprised at how quickly this one went together! The first picture shows the Double Axe Head block--this one is appliqued--this one is a new one to me , but wasn't hard to do with Eleanor Burns method of applique where you sew a fusible interfacing onto the fabric with right sides facing, make a slit in the back and then turn right side out. It gives you such a smooth piece to work with and then you sew them down with invisible thread with a blind hem stitch.
The Flying Geese block was also done with her technique that gives you 4 Flying Geese at one time. The book I used was Egg Money Quilts by Eleanor Burns. Her directions are just great! I was so excited to meet her in person at the Quilt Show in Houston. What a lovely lady!
Let quilting help you make someone smile!
Jan

3 comments:

pollyanna said...

One of my very first quilts was a Burns book and I learned her methods--nice job :) I love 30s on white so much! I am looking forward to seeing the finished top!

Rhonda said...

Great job! My first quilt was the double edged ax....by machine. I didn't know what I was doing...LOL...but it came out just fine. Only later did I learn from my aunt that it was supposed to be hard. Take care and have a great week!

Heather (How to be a Woman..?) said...

Great job! I'm just starting to learn quilting techniques - enough to appreciate the time and care you took to achieve that quality look.