QUILTER JAN

Welcome to my blog!

Monday, July 27, 2009

Asian Art Quilt


This is my attempt at an "Art" quilt. I saw the kit at the Columbus Quilt Show and really liked the fabrics and colors, so I thought I would give it a try! Part of the fabrics are silk--they had to be interfaced with iron on interfacing because they tended to ravel if you even look at them!! It made sewing them quite a challenge. So now I can say I've sewn with Duponi silk!!!!

I'm working on finishing the binding on the big quilt called Liberty which is the Broken Star pattern---I showed it once before--it is a very big quilt and finally got quilted!!!! It will be nice to cuddle with this winter, but kind of hot to work on right now---even though temps have "cooled down" from 105+ to the 90's!!! LOL!

Saturday the DFW Gang got together at the little house in Ponder and sewed. There were only 3 of us that could come because the others all had other things to do. Debi worked on her Storm at Sea paper pieced blocks, Sally worked on "things" and I made one Yellow Brick Road and one-half of another--3 of Sally's friends from her quilting group stopped in and we had a good visit. Wish it wasn't quite so far away---it's over an hour and a half away for Debi and I. But then sometimes Brenda and Sally come over this way, so it all evens out in the end!

Let quilting help you make someone smile!

Jan

5 comments:

Crispy said...

Wow Jan your art quilt is Wonderful!! I can see what attracted you to this project.

Well done!!

Crispy

Allie said...

That is really, really lovely. I love it. I've never tried the Duponi silk, it scares me, lol - I'll have to remember the iron on interfacing. Beautiful job, Jan!

Barb said...

Love the Asian Art quilt....and glad you all had fun together...I am so jealous...I am trying to get a few gals interested in quilting over here...

Debi said...

Very pretty Jan, I see why you wanted to make this. You did an excellent job.

Michele Bilyeu said...

You are a brave, brave woman sewing on silk and it turned out beautifully! It is most assuredly an art quilt by any definition...gorgeous!!!